Heidelberg Castle - History:
The ruins of the once grand Heidelberg Castle rise up on a rocky hilltop over the university town of Heidelberg.Once a Gothic masterpiece, the Castle of Heidelberg has encountered turbulent times: It was plundered and burned by the French army in 1689, then struck by lightning 100 years later, and its red stones were even used to build new houses.
The Castle of Heidelberg never regained its original glory, but the ruins have a ragged charm of their own. They are considered the symbol of German Romanticism.
The Castle of Heidelberg is a highlight of the German Castle Road.
Heidelberg Castle - Interesting Facts:
- The wine cellar of the castle houses the biggest barrel in the world, holding 55,345 gallons of wine.
- Mark Twain visited the Castle of Heidelberg; a boat trip on the nearby river Neckar allegedly inspired him to write a chapter of Huckleberry Finn.
- Being destroyed several times over the centuries and then partly rebuilt, you can still make out different architectural styles in the ruins.
Heidelberg Castle- Address:
- Address: Schloss Heidelberg, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany, 57 miles south of Frankfurt
- Phone: 06221 - 538431
Directions to Heidelberg:
- By Car:
Take the Autobahn (motorway) A 5 or A6 into the direction of Heidelberg; exit onto the Autobahn A 656, which will take you into the center of Heidelberg.
- By Train:
Take the train to Mannheim and then hop on a regional train to Heidelberg, which is only 15 minutes away.
Heidelberg Castle - Opening Hours:
- Castle, Court Yard, and Giant Wine Barrel
Daily, 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- German Apothecary Museum
April - October, 10:15 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
November - March, 10.00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Special Exhibitions about Romanticism and the Middle Ages:
Daily, 9:30 p.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Heidelberg Castle - Tours:
- You can only visit the interior of the castle as part of a guided tour
- English tours are available every day
- Admission to the Castle Courtyard, Giant Barrel and Apothecary Museum
Adults € 3.00, Children € 1.50
- Guided tours of the Palace
Adults € 4.00, Children € 2.00, Family-Ticket € 10.00
Heidelberg - Good to Know:
- You can take a cable car up to the castle
- Don't miss the beautiful castle gardens; they offer wonderful views of the city and the river valley
- A new Mövenpick Restaurant and café with delicious German pastry just opened
- Visit the Website of the Castle of Heidelberg