Der Englische Garten in Munich:
The English Garden (Englischer Garten), lies in the midst of bustling Munich and is one of the largest city parks in Europe. It stretches all the way from Munich's city center to the northeastern city limits.
Created by the American Sir Benjamin Thompson in the 18th century, this green oasis is a wonderful place to explore and take a break from sightseeing in Munich: Rent a paddle boat, stroll along the wooded paths, and hit one of the four beer gardens in the English Garden.
English Garden - Surf's Up:
English Garden - Highlights:
- Chinese Tower and its huge beer garden, which seats 7000 people
- Japanese Teahouse, where you can take part in a traditional tea ceremony on the weekend
- Monopteros, a Greek style temple, which offers great views of Munich’s cityscape
- Lake Kleinhesseloher See, where you can rent a paddle boat, and its idyllic beer garden Seehaus
- Schönfeldwiese, the lawn where nude sunbathing is allowed since the 1960's
English Garden - Getting There:
- Subway: U 3,4,5, and 6 to "Marienplatz"
- S-Bahn: S 1,2,4,5,6,7, and 8 to "Marienplatz"
- Bus 54 and 154 to "Chinesischer Turm "
- Tram 17 to "Tivolistraße"
English Garden - Opening Hours:
English Garden - Beer Gardens and Restaurants:
From April to October, a Japanese tea ceremony takes place every second weekend of the month: Sat/ Sun at 2, 3, 4 and 5 p.m.
Beer Garden at the Chinese Tower
Englischer Garten 3
The 82-feet high wooden Chinese Tower is the signature landmark of Munich's park, and its adjacent beer garden can sit up to 7000 people, who listen to traditional brass bands on Sundays.
Restaurant and Beer Garden "Zum Aumeister"
Enjoy your royal Hofbrau beer under canopies of old chestnut trees with a view of a lovely pond; located in the northern part of the English Garden.
Restaurant and Beer Garden "Seehaus"
Set on the shores of the ‘Kleinhesseloher Lake’, this beer garden and restaurant is famous for regional dishes as well as delicious seafood.
Restaurant and Beer Garden "Hirschau"
While you enjoy your fresh Spaten beer with live jazz, kids can spend the time at the huge playground or the adjacent minigolf course.