Eltz Castle - Overview:
The Eltz Castle lies in the West of Germany, between Koblenz and Trier. It is surrounded on three sides by a river and still owned by the same family that lived here in the 12th century, 33 generations ago.The Eltz Castle features a museum and has an impressive collection of original furniture and artwork on display. The Knights Hall has armor dating back to the 16th century, and the original treasure vault is worth a visit.
The Eltz Castle is still an insider tip and not nearly as crowded as other castles in Germany.
Eltz Castle - Interesting Historic Facts:
- Some floors and walls still have strong medieval plaster, consisting of ox blood, animal hair, clay, quick lime, and camphor.
- The Castle was only attacked once, but never taken.
- The Eltz family lives in one wing of the castle.
Eltz Castle - Address:
- Address: Burg Eltz, 56294 Münstermaifeld
- Phone: 02672 - 950500
Eltz Castle - Getting There:
From the parking lot, you can either walk up the hill to the castle or take a shuttle bus (€1.50).
Eltz Castle - Opening Hours:
Eltz Castle - Admission and Tours:
- Cost: €8 for adults, € 5.50 for students and kids
- Tours: There are no scheduled English tours; you can wait for enough English-speaking visitors to comprise an English tour group, otherwise follow the German tour with an English fact sheet