Ready to pack your suitcase for Germany?
Have a look at this helpful packing list that features essential travel-musts for your trip to Germany.
You can also print this list out and use it while packing - just cross out the listed items after you packed them (make sure to click the link for the printer-friendly version, top right of this page).
And don’t worry - if you forget something at home, you will be able to buy most things in Germany as well.
For tips on what clothing to pack, please scroll down to the end of this page.
- Airline Tickets (if you have e-tickets, print out the e-mail confirmation)
- US Passport
- Some cash (in Euro) or traveler checks
- Drivers license (if you want to rent a car)
- Contact numbers in case your credit card is stolen
- Important phone numbers at home
- Copy of medical history
- Toiletries (tootbrush, toothpaste, lotions, shampoo, shower gel, razor, shaving cream)
- Travel Guide(s)
- Contact to American Embassy
- Addresses for writing postcards
Always Good to Have:
- Travel pillow
- Small first aid kit
- Sewing kit
- Ear plugs
- Wrinkle-free spray
- Travel alarm clock
Clothes Packing ListSummer or winter, rain or shine - make sure to pack the following essential clothing for your trip to Germany:
- Good walking shoes/ sneakers
- Rain jacket or umbrella
- Sun glasses
- Your favorite pair of jeans and T-Shirts
- Sweater for chilly nights
Clothes Packing List for German WintersGerman winters can be cold, with temperatures ranging between 33 F and 45 F.
Be prepared for snow, rain, and some cold winds, so make sure to bring the following:
- Warm sweaters
- Winter jacket
- Hand warmers
- Hat/ cap
- Warm socks
- Long Johns
Clothes Packing List for German SummersGerman summers can be hot, with temperatures ranging between 68 F and 86 F, but it can also be rainy and cool. Make sure to pack the following:
- Skirts/ shorts
- Light sweaters
- Light jacket
- Long pants/Jeans
- Bathing suit