The Fraunhofer Wirtshaus is a traditional Bavarian restaurant that serves hearty and organic Bavarian specialties like knuckle of pork, potatoe dumplings, and coleslaw, as well as delicious vegetarian options and great salads.
Dating back to 1874, this restaurant has cozy and down-to-earth atmosphere and draws in an interesting mix of people, from locals and tourists, to students, and actors from the adjacent theater.
- Address: Fraunhoferstr. 9, 80469 Munich; Phone: +49 89 26 64 60
- Opening Hours: 4:30 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.
2. NomiyaMarry a Sushi bar with a beer hall, and what you get is the culinary concept of Nomiya: a Bavarian Japanese restaurant that combines the best of both worlds. Wash down your spicy tuna rolls with handcrafted Bavarian wheat beer served in sturdy steins, and enjoy this hip and new fusion. The small restaurant is filled with Japanese art work that goes hand in hand with its old-fashioned Bavarian decoration. Reservations are recommended.
- Address: Wörthstr. 7, 81667 Munich; Phone +49 89 448 4095
- Opening Hours: 6:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
People come from all around the globe to visit the Hofbräuhaus, which prides itself in being the most famous beer hall in the world. Expect oompah bands, waitresses in traditional "Dirndls", homebrewed beer in one-liter steins, and hearty Bavarian food such as veal sausage with sweet mustard and crackling pork roast.
- Address: Am Platzl 9, 80331 Munich; Phone: +49 89 2901 360
- Opening Hours: 9:00 a.m.- 11:30 p.m.
Read the Review of the Hofbräuhaus
4. TantrisVoted among the 50 best restaurants in the world and awarded with two Michelin stars, Tantris is celebrated as one of the most renowned restaurants in Munich. Chef Hans Haas creates German cuisine with an exotic twist such as suckling pig with smoked eel and dried plums. The restaurant is glowing in orange and yellow colors and has a kitschy 70s ambience. Reservations are a must.
- Address: Johann Fichtestr. 7, 80805 Munich; Phone +49 89 36 19590
- Opening Hours: Tue-Sat 12:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m and 6:30 p.m. - 1:00 a.m.
5. Hey LuigiHey Luigi is a hip and affordable restaurant with an international menu. The food is simple but very tasty, and the place is well-known for its yummy pasta variations and salads. Located in an up-and-coming part of Munich, this is a great place for a casual meal in a relaxed atmosphere; during the summer, you can sit outside and watch the young "Münchners" walk by.
- Address: Holzstr. 29, 80469 Munich; Phone +49 89 4613 4741
- Opening Hours: Mo-Fri, 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 a.m.; Sat 5:00 p.m. – 1:00 a.m.; Sun 5:00 p.m. – 12:00 a.m.