Only two more weeks until the world famous Oktoberfest in Munich opens its gates. Between September 19th and October 4th, over 6 million visitors from all over the world will come to Munich to link arms with locals, swing to the Oompah of Bavarian bands, enjoy hearty food and get a good helping of German hospitality.
If you would like to get a true taste of Bavarian culture and cuisine but can't make it to the real deal in Munich, don't worry - Oktoberfest is celebrated around the world, and my colleagues from about.com traveled near and far to bring you the best Oktoberfest celebrations.
From Brazil, to Scandinavia, raise your stein, it's going to be a good time!
- Oktoberfest celebrations are very popular in Scandinavia- if you love beer and sauerkraut, you'll find plenty of German-style festivals in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, and even Iceland.
- Looking for some Oktoberfest spirit in Brazil? There are many great Oktoberfest celebrations around the country, but the beer festival in Blumenau tops them all.
- Food and drink lovers in Ireland, head to Dublin, where Septemberfest keeps you entertained with micro-breweries, cider makers, artisan food, and live entertainment for all ages.
- Beer and Brats in South America, anyone? Celebrate Oktoberfest Argentine style.
Oktoberfest in the U.S.
- Enjoy oompah-pah bands, Bavarian dancing, and German crafts at these Oktoberfest celebrations throughout the Southeast of the U.S.
- Traveling the Southwest in search for some beer? Here are the best beer festivals in the Southwest of the U.S.
- In the Northwest, they love beer, fall, and any reason to celebrate, so Oktoberfest events are always popular.
- Did you know that America's first Oktoberfest was celebrated in Maryland? Today, there are many more celebrations throughout the Washington DC area.
- Texas honors its German heritage with numerous Oktoberfest events across the Lone Star State.
- In the Reno and Lake Tahoe region of Nevada, Oktoberfest is celebrated with gusto similar to the original German version.
- Even the West Coast celebrates the Bavarian fall festival - the Oktoberfest in San Diego and La Mesa are not to be missed for some German fun.
And to get into the right mood on your way to the next Oktoberfest, check out the best beer pubs in major US airports.